KLMS have signed up to Tourism Declares, a global initiative that supports tourism businesses, organisations and individuals in declaring a climate emergency and taking purposeful action to reduce their carbon emissions as per the advice from The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) to cut global carbon emissions to 55% below 2017 levels by 2030. We are proud to be one of first Destination Management Company in Tanzania to sign up to initiative.
Since 2014 KLM Safaris been undertaking sustainability actions such as Zero Travel program in which percentage of the money paid by our esteemed clients was dedicated to education, awareness and advocacy in tree planting adjacent Kilimanjaro Mountain in Tanzania. Kilimanjaro is the global reference point for climate change and its glaciers has disappeared for 95% since 1912. Despite of our efforts and other partners in the destination, adaptation strategies and capacity building for resilience is urgently required to save biodiversity and support communities. The climate crisis is real and it is happening, since travel and tourism contributes to global carbon emissions. This is why KLM Safaris, along with other reputable travel companies, has declared a Climate Emergency.
KLM Safaris Commitment
Like all signatories, we have committed to the following five actions:
- Develop a ‘Climate Emergency Plan’ within the next 12 months, which sets out our intentions to reduce carbon emissions over the next decade.
- Share an initial public declaration of our ‘Climate Emergency Plan,’ and provide updates on our progress each year.
- Accept current IPCC advice stating the need to cut global carbon emissions to 55% below 2017 levels by 2030 in order to keep the planet within 1.5 degrees of warming. We’ll ensure our ‘Climate Emergency Plan’ represents actions designed to achieve this as a minimum, through delivering transparent, measurable, and increasing reductions in the total carbon emissions per customer arising from our operations and the travel services sold by us.
- Encourage our stakeholders and partners to make the same declaration, share best practice amongst peers and actively participate in the Tourism Declares community.
- Advocate for change. We recognize the need for system change across the industry, and call for urgent regulatory action to accelerate a just transition towards net-zero carbon tourism.
Any company, organization, or individual working in tourism is welcome to join the Tourism Declares initiative. All you need to do are two things – Declare and Share at TourismDeclares.com.
Our Climate Emergency Plan
As KLM Safaris we have set clear and achievable climate action plan to reduce carbon emission and environmental footprint. The action plans involve reducing carbon emissions, measure carbon footprint encourage, ecological consumer behavior, adopting slow travel itineraries, Our Approach will follow the principles of measure, reduce, mitigate and communicate.
KLM Safaris is also represented on Safari Bookings.