KLMS is a member of Tourism Declares, a global initiative that supports tourism businesses, organisations and individuals in declaring a climate emergency and taking purposeful action to reduce their carbon emissions as per the advice of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) to cut global carbon emissions to 55% below 2017 levels by 2030. We are proud to be one of first Destination Management companies in Tanzania to sign up for this initiative.
Since 2014 KLM Safaris been undertaking sustainability actions such as Zero Travel program in which a percentage of the money paid by our esteemed clients was dedicated to education, awareness and advocacy in tree planting in areas adjacent to Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania. Kilimanjaro is the global reference point for climate change as 95% of its glaciers have disappeared since 1912. Despite our efforts and the efforts of our other partners, adaptation strategies and capacity building for resilience is urgently required to save biodiversity and support local communities. Since the climate crisis is real and travel and tourism contribute to global carbon emissions, KLM Safaris, along with other reputable travel companies, have declared a Climate Emergency.
KLM Safaris Commitment:
Like all signatories, we have committed to the following five actions:
- Develop a ‘Climate Emergency Plan’ within the next 12 months, which sets our intentions to reduce carbon emissions over the next decade.
- Share an initial public declaration of our ‘Climate Emergency Plan,’ and provide updates on our progress each year.
- Accept current IPCC advice stating the need to cut global carbon emissions to 55% below 2017 levels by 2030 in order to keep the planet within 1.5 degrees of warming. We’ll ensure our ‘Climate Emergency Plan’ represents actions designed to achieve this as a minimum, through delivering transparent, measurable, and increasing reductions in the total carbon emissions per customer arising from our operations and the travel services sold by us.
- Encourage our stakeholders and partners to make the same declaration, share best practices amongst peers and actively participate in the Tourism Declares community.
- Advocate for change. We recognize the need for system change across the industry, and call for urgent regulatory action to accelerate a just transition towards net-zero carbon tourism.
Any company, organization, or individual working in tourism is welcome to join the Tourism Declares initiative. All you need to do are two things – Declare and Share at TourismDeclares.com.
Our Climate Emergency Plan
As KLM Safaris, we have set a clear and achievable climate action plan to reduce our carbon emission and environmental footprint. The action plan involves encouraging ecological consumer behavior and adopting slow travel itineraries. Our Approach will follow the principles of measuring, reducing, mitigating and communicating.
KLM Safaris is also represented on Safari Bookings.